Maintaining Creative Community

I am disappoined to report that The Bead Shop in Palo Alto closed in August 2008 after years of leading people down the beading path. I remember when it was just a small shop dazzling people with fabulous gems and inspiring jewelry designs. Over the years it grew into a Palo Alto institution.

A year and a half ago I had been invited to teach Precious Metal Clay classes at The Bead Shop by Frances Manfrey, one of their Education Directors. Teaching was a blast and pushed my creativity to a new level. I enjoy teaching as I meet so many great people and am inspired by other designers. More than anything I miss the creative community I found there.

I try and stay in touch with Bead Shop people as much as possible. One way I am doing that is through an online community Janice Parsons created called Bay Area Beaders. It's a place where we share photos, tips, review websites, gem shows and bead stores. Everyone is welcome to join! http://beadshop.ning.com/?xgsi=1

Another way I am trying to maintain creative community is by upgrading my studio. I now have 20x20 space to make jewelry and teach!! I am grateful for the new space. I will post pics of my haven of creativity when I get a chance. Class dates are also coming. Check back or ask to be added to the list by e-mailing me at virginia@vine-design.com